The Iroquois came and exterminated the Algonquin tribe about the year 1650.Tessouat, rich from duties collected, from ample trade, was ambushed by the Iroquois on his return from Quebec. A battle took place on the shore of the Island between Paquette and Allumette Rapids. After the annihilation of the Algonquin the Island returned to wilderness for some 170 years.
In 1836 Fathers de Bellefeuille and Dupuis reported to Bishop Bourget of Montreal that L’Isle-aux-Allumettes is beginning to be inhabited but is yet on the extreme end of colonization. They remarked that sixty families were living on the Island. They also stated that there should be an organized effort made for the religious interests of the settlers and Indians.
In 1839, Father Moreau then asked the Bishop to grant permission that a chapel be erected on the Island. Extra pressure was brought on the Bishop by Father John Brady, assistant to Father Moreau, three laymen and sixty-six families, to build a chapel at Church Point. St. Alphonsus Church of Liguori was canonically erected at Church Point in 1839. In 1849, there were 150 Catholic families and 25 Protestant families; in 1861, there were 160 Catholic families on the Island.
Five French families on the Island in 1856
The original Township of Allumette Island included the present municipalities of L’Isle-aux-Allumettes, Chichester and Sheenboro. In 1857 Chichester and Sheenboro formed their own municipalities. The Chapeau Village separated on January 1, 1874 and Allumette Island East on May 20, 1920. On December 30, 1998, the municipalities of Chapeau Village and Allumette Island East amalgamated with the original municipality of Township of Allumette Island.